Every year, thousands of workers as well as building occupants are being exposed to a terrible mineral that can claim their lives. Asbestos is the toxic minerals that many people get exposed to without even realizing it. It has been estimated that millions of people have been exposed to toxic substances since the 1940s. Although the use of asbestos has reduced, some countries still make use of asbestos. So far, 50 countries have realized how asbestos can be harmful to people hence banning the substance. Asbestos exposure can occur is in different ways. The most common way to be exposed to asbestos is through inhalation. When asbestos is not disturbed or damaged, it pauses no danger to the user but when it is interfered with, the toxic chemical will be released to the environment causing health risks. Here is how asbestos exposure happens
The most common asbestos exposure is through asbestos inhalation. This is through unknowingly inhaling asbestos fibers released to the environment. Inhalation of asbestos is the most common risk and deadly asbestos exposure. Asbestos fibers can easily be separated into their microscopic level. This allows them to be airborne and that is what makes them easy to be inhaled. When asbestos fibers are inhaled, they stick within tissues and become impossible to extract. When they manage to reach the lungs, they cannot be noticeable.
Those products with asbestos do not always eject asbestos when they are in their normal state. When the products deteriorate, that is when they release asbestos into the air. Its deterioration is called aging or it can also be caused by being disturbed or being damaged. Direct handling can be the first thing that makes many people get exposed to inhaling asbestos. Such situations happen most of the time especially when workers have to demolish or renovate buildings that contain asbestos. Before any building is renovated or demolished, an asbestos survey London should be conducted.
When asbestos is inhaled it can cause severe health issues and complications. It is responsible for the deadly diagnoses of conditions such as mesothelioma. It can also be the cause of lung cancer. Before demolishing any home or before thinking of repairing a home, you must look for asbestos experts who will help you identify the mineral and help you in getting rid of it.
Apart from just inhaling asbestos, you can also be exposed to asbestos through swallowing. Swallowing of asbestos fibers has become very common these days. There are instances where asbestos enters the mouth and gets trapped in the saliva. There is a possibility of eating food or drinking substances that are contaminated with asbestos. If asbestos-containing products were used in the transportation of foodstuffs, it is very possible to consume asbestos through swallowing. When you swallow asbestos, the toxic substance might get stuck into the esophagus, the stomach, and the intestine as well. Your body organs will never be safe as long as you have swallowed asbestos. To avoid swallowing asbestos, make sure that an asbestos survey is conducted and if found, should be removed immediately.