Timber harvesting is a dangerous job. There are potential hazards associated with loading, transporting and unloading of logs. Due to this reason, you need efficient ways to control the dangers associated with the operation of this job. Implement methods to efficiently communicate safe systems, and hazards of work.
This article is a general guide that helps in the management of risks pertaining to forestry operations.
Common types of hazards
Here are common risks that you are susceptible to when loading, unloading, and transportation of logs.
- Getting hit by rolling, sliding, or falling logs
- rollover of your log truck in cases of movement of the load, or high load
- working alone
- loads with a high overhang
- slips fall, and strains while checking load, and getting inside and outside of the machine
- other road users who get injured due to falling of logs
- strain in the back from throwing log restraint chains, or straps
- logs movement in transit while creating a danger to the driver at the time of unloading.
For buying all types of loaders, trailers, and forestry equipment, and its spare parts, you should definitely visit Payeur.com. It is the one-stop-shop for meeting all your forestry equipment needs.
Safety control measures
Stay in a safe place
It is required that the driver stays at an agreed site outside the work zone.
- It should be in the line of sight of the operator of the loading machine.
- Do not lift logs on the truck cabin.
- Ensure nobody enters into an area that is described by the swing radius
- Nobody should leave the safe place and make your entry into the loader work region
- The driver should wear high visibility clothing, a safety helmet, and safety footwear while you are outside the cabin.
- The loading machine operator and driver need to establish oral, radio, and visual communication.
Another thing that you need to know is that the machines that have been chosen for the operation have to be designed to lift the logs for safe handling.
- The loading operator has to be assessed and trained against the relevant competency.
- When you are working alone, you should have an effective communication system in place for evaluation of the safety, and health of the operator.
Proper safety measures are essential when it comes to loading and unloading of logs. This information will definitely assist you in the efficient dealing, and management of the risks.